Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Opportunist, Tarryn Fisher




BLURB----Olivia Kaspen is a sharp tongued manipulator used to always getting what she wants. With just one exception-Caleb Drake, the one she foolishly let slip away. After a chance encounter brings Caleb back into her life, Olivia finds herself wanting a second chance with her first love, and asking herself how far she is willing to go to get him back.  Her only problem is a red head named Leah, Caleb's new love. Olivia must fight for what was once hers, and in the process discover that sometimes love falls short of redemption.







Oh Man....I don't even know what to say right now. I will say I cried though.....I DON'T CRY! 

Caleb and Olivia are essentially high-school sweethearts who break up badly. They bump into each other years later after Caleb suffers from amnesia and Olivia decides to....I don't even know what she was hoping for to be honest but she talks to him but doesn't reveal all about their history. (bit more to it than that but that covers the important stuff)

Olivia is a really complex character on the surface she is cold and manipulative but to me......she was really just a fragile and reactive immature girl. She is so selfish it's shocking but I don't believe there is particularly any malice behind her actions so much as an ignorance and unwillingness to take responsibility for anything. She is so full of self-loathing that her behaviour doesn't even matter, she just does what she wants because she knows in her head she is an awful person so she just lives up to this. I found it really sad because she is lovely....sorta. Don't get me wrong she does some horrendous things....but I feel like I understand her. I think....I don't know.
We get explanations for her behaviour like her parents deaths and the fact that she was a loner who people only started to pay attention to once she got 'pretty', which I suppose added to her lack of respect for people.
The girl just needs a hug and to be told she's lovely. Then a slap across the face and told to grow up and get over herself.


Caleb...Caleb you are....huh. I really loved Caleb too, I think he worked for Olivia because he took all the control from her. Sometimes though I wished he tried to help her more rather than just pushing her and withdrawing from her. 

Leah I DON'T LIKE YOU, damn I hated her. She was worse than any of them.
The title is the best thing ever. They were all an 'Opportunist'! All three of them, naughty manipulative people!

There is so much more I want to say, I just don't want to spoil anything or give clues. I have certain other feelings towards many other characters but I'm not gonna go there.
I absolutely loved this book, the writing was awesome and really cleverly put together. The way certain things were juxtaposed really cut through me at times. Like when Caleb is being all sweet with Olivia and she is reacting by being flippant or pushing him away. That huge contrast made it hurt that bit more because it was incredibly obvious that Olivia was ruining things for herself. 
Poor Girl! I want to be her mum. 

Urgh....I need a nap now. I'm devastated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment