Sunday, May 26, 2013

Playing Patience, Tabatha Vargo

Amazon US Link

BLURB----Sometimes all you need is Patience.

Life’s been hard for Zeke. Being a punching bag for his alcoholic father has turned him into stone. Not even the dodgy trailer park he lives in can scare him. Fighting is his release and sex, drugs, and his guitar bring him peace, but deep down Zeke isn’t quite as hard as he makes himself out to be. When he meets Patience, she finds all his broken pieces and puts him back together, but she’s a ray of light in his shadowed life and the last thing he wants to do is bring her into his dark world. Playing careless is easy, playing the bad guy can be fun, but playing Patience is impossible, especially when she can see right through him.

Zeke isn’t the only one who’s broken, and for the first time, in a long time, Patience feels alive. Her black and white world gets a shot of color when she meets Zeke. He’s unlike anyone she’s ever met with his tattoos, piercings, and blunt honesty. She wants nothing more than to let go and ride the wild side with him, but some wounds never heal and the broken pieces of Patience aren’t so easy to find.

***Warning: this book contains graphic language, sex, and violence. Mature readers only. Not intended for young adult readers.***



Okay, with this book for the first time ever I noticed stuff that usually makes me hate a book but here I just casually looked the other way. BUT this gives me a stronger love for it because I love it wholeheartedly despite some flaws.

I seriously loved it, which was weird since I had alarm bells constantly going off like "Men don't talk like this" and "Stop with the crap descriptions" and "Oh dear god, PLEASE check your sentences!!". I don't want to say any of this because I reaalllyyyyy loved it, so so so much but I just can't not say it. Anyway....will detail that a bit more later.


Zeke- beat up by his father, Patience sexually abused by hers meet and we follow their surprisingly sweet romance given the subject matter. It's so dark and dramatic but when they are together they behave more like teens albeit dirty slut bag teens BUT it's nice to see them being normal. I loved when they were together it was beautiful.

Patience was very sweet as was Zeke, although the overlap in the chapters was a bit annoying I still enjoyed reading it. I also like how they would say the same things in their heads so we saw how similar they were.

I'm always very vague with plot but believe me when I say A LOT happens.

I think one of the reasons I loved it was there was no insta-love. Thank the heavens, I can’t bear insta-love. They take ages to develop into anything. Full of doubt and self-loathing the pair of them work really hard at trying to do the right thing by each other.

I read this in a day, which I just don't do but I needed to know what happened. It never lulled and I never lost interest, I regret it now! I crave a great book then when I get one I get greedy and gobble it up super quick then mourn the loss of it. When will I learn not to rush through?!

It was a good old fashioned romance, but of the dark twisted variety.
I know some of my friends will absolutely hate this book and others will adore and favourite shelf it.

But...I need to detail some of the bad things now. Don't want to but it kind of needs to be said.

The POV thing, I'm learning I hate 1st person POV... especially male. I nearly gave up in the beginning because I just couldn't read a man coming up with these long winded descriptions for hair and eyes. People don't talk this way! But then I got used to it and I loved Zeke's voice by the end. He's such a dude.

The editor....Dear God... If it was a payed editor should never work again. Some examples....

“master piece” is not what you wanted here, "masterpiece" it’s just one word.

“Of course I am” is not an appropriate response to “Feel like some company?”.

“Never talk to each any one” Doesn’t make sense. Neither does “pulled in next his” there’s quite a few more.

The Ending Jesus effing Christ.....all I can say is wow, that all happened so fast. Throughout the book everything we get is heavily detailed emotions and personal struggles. Then we get to the end and it's like a runaway wrap-up train with a pretty little bow on top. Did Not Like.

Epilogue was laughable too, I need a bit more detail than I was given

BUT!!!!! AGAIN!!!!
I DIDN'T CARE ONE EENY WEENY TINY BIT!!!! LISTEN TO ME....NOT ONE BIT.

IT IS AMAZING

Honestly, couldn't care less. I loved Zeke and Patience so much I just glossed right over all of it... To get all weird on you all now. It made me realise sometimes a good story is enough, great characters can be an amazing experience. It's not necessary to deconstruct a book and seek out flaws. It entertained me, I had a great journey with these people so I'm not taking away any stars for the faults I found because I never got bored it pulled so many emotions out of me and I'm so glad I read it.

Perfect romance read for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment